BIM is an intelligent 3D model-based process for creating and managing all of the information on a project: before, during and after construction. It is the digital working method for the building industry.
BIM provides value by enabling architecture, engineering and construction professionals to collaborate and to work together effectively over the lifecycle of a project.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is transforming how projects are delivered. By using 3D models, the flow of physically information and intelligent data from conceptual design down to construction and facilities management, is helping architects, engineers, contractors and owners realize their projects more efficiently, more economically, and with increased profitability than ever before. At its heart, BIM is a digital representation of both the physical and functional characteristics of buildings and infrastructure.
BIM helps facilitate designing, visualizing, simulating and analyzing. It solves clash detection, construction planning, quantity take-off and cost estimation. It provides improved coordination with architects, engineers and other project participants resulting in fewer errors, less waste, time savings and project cost savings. All driven from the one model.
BIM is also a wise investment. According to McGraw Hill, 63% of BIM users say they see positive ROI on their investment in BIM and 93% strongly believe that they will gain even more value from BIM technology in the future.
BIM is everywhere. From buildings to bridges to airports to power plants BIM is being utilized on some of the most ambitious projects around the world.
Many governments mandate BIM and many progressive measures are aiding adoption. The US and UK has actively developed and publish BIM standards. Other countries including Singapore, Norway and Finland now make BIM model submissions mandatory for building compliance.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) is a unique approach to interdisciplinary information sharing. Here are some of the important benefits BIM provides for the construction sector;
• Better Interoperability: BIM allows all parties to be involved in the project. Various design professionals, suppliers, clients and other stakeholders can collaborate more efficiently allowing projects to run more smoothly. BIM includes a wide range of variables related to construction and visualizes all of them in a single model, allowing better coordination and collaboration among different disciplines.
• Better Predictability: Planning a construction project from beginning to end gives the client a clear and concise view of how their projects will be realized. Aspects of the project can be easily modified based on their expectations and goals. BIM allows all those involved in the construction process to plan ahead. In other words, important decisions can be made earlier, mitigating costly changes later, and achieving a better end result.
• Reduced Errors: The integration of multiple building components can sometimes generate errors due to sizing and complexity issues. With BIM technology, all relevant information is merged and then analyzed. If every stakeholder of a construction project use BIM technology, inconsistencies and errors can be quickly identified and eliminated during the planning phase.
• Rapid Project Delivery: Utilization of BIM provides large time savings. With a shared model, reworks and duplication of drawing can be minimized. Project planning and design can begin at an earlier stage. BIM modelling tools also have the advantage of being faster and more accurate than traditional 2D drawing approaches.
Open collaboration and sharing knowledge is a core principal at Prota which is why we have cultivated close relationships with leading technical research associates and the world’s major BIM players including Autodesk®. This keeps us at the forefront of technical innovation, integrated design, BIM integration and project collaboration.
• ProtaBIM has been designed to allow engineers to easily communicate and coordinate models with other project stakeholders including architects, fabricators, BIM specialists and owners.
• Using intelligent physical objects and customisable templates and families means ProtaStructure models can be accurately and directly shared with other leading BIM platforms including Autodesk Revit without wasting time re-creating model data and fixing building setout.
• Save hours of modelling time by starting in either your chosen BIM platform or ProtaStructure and simply sharing your model back and forth, as many times as you wish. Make changes and enhancements along the way and seamlessly synchronized projects to keep your BIM models up to date.
• Track and review changes as your coordinate projects using intelligent model auditing tools, and quickly check and update designs in ProtaStructure as projects are refined.
• Quickly and efficiently coordinate your projects before construction starts and save hours of wasted time and headache trying to resolve problems later. Keep your clients happy and deliver faster, more profitable projects with ProtaBIM.
Prota Software develops the global leading structural BIM software platform for structural engineers to model, analyze and design buildings quickly and accurately.
Prota is also a global provider of professional consultancy services in architectural and engineering design, project management, construction supervision, BIM consultancy, earthquake engineering.
Prota was the pioneer of BIM technology in Turkey being the first design company to deliver an entire metro project using BIM technology.
Prota’s mission is to foresee future needs and to develop effective and reliable solutions for its clients. “Innovation to Design” is at the forefront of Prota’s BIM team ethos. Our expert BIM engineers and architects adopt the latest BIM technologies and innovative approaches to produce aesthetically pleasing, economical design and technology solutions for our clients around the world.